Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Shredded Fiesta Lime Chicken Tacos - Crockpot

 
I've moved!  Please come see me at www.thesaltykitchen!
 


The greatest invention of all time, in my opinion, is the crockpot.  Bold statement, I know. But for those of us who relentlessly burn ourselves, the crockpot is sometimes the only option if we don't want to have yet another scar.

I burn myself all.the.time. Not, "oh, haha, I burned myself again." More like, "I wasn't expecting to burn myself that way tonight."

Even boiling water is a hazard for us 'burners.'

Tonight, I was trying to pour the pot of hot water with noodles into the colander to drain them.

Who knew that hot water would actually scald through a t-shirt? It's a new one, even for me. I have two burns right below my belly-button that hurt so badly, I might not be able to sleep tonight.

My husband is aware of all these things, and knows he has to be the one who brings casserole dishes out of the oven, he's the one to turn, flip, or rotate cookie sheets while still hot, and apparently, he has to drain pasta for me now.  Oof.

One year, he even bought me the Ove-Glove. Yes, I have one. And yes, I totally wish I could wear a body-suit-type Ove-Glove while I cook.

So, you see, for people like me, the crockpot is a lifesaver. Burning yourself is almost impossible!

This recipe?  FAN.TAS.TIC.

Brian thinks it's better than any Mexican chicken dish at a restaurant, and I tend to agree. The onions are sweet, the chicken is spicy, and the language in our house is less vibrant due to lack of burns, but it's totally worth it. I'm sure my son's kindergarten teacher thanks us, too.





Fiesta Lime Chicken Tacos

Ingredients:
3-4 pounds of chicken breasts, bone-in and skin on - I used frozen
3 limes
1 onion, sliced
4 T. taco seasoning (see below) - you could also use store-bought
1/4 cup chicken broth
avocados, sour cream, salsa, shredded cheese - whatever you need for tacos

Taco Seasoning:
Taco Seasoning source: Mel's Kitchen Cafe
1 T. chili powder
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. onion powder
pinch of cayenne pepper
1/4 t. dried oregano
1/2 t. paprika
1 1/2 t. ground cumin
1 t. salt
1/2 t. black pepper

Combine all seasoning ingredients and store in an airtight container until necessary.  Double this mixture if you have the ingredients.  It's really, really good!


Directions:
Place the sliced onions in the bottom of your slow cooker.

Squeeze the juice of one lime over the onion, then place the chicken on top.

Sprinkle 2 T. of taco seasoning over the top of the chicken; turn chicken over and sprinkle remaining tablespoon of seasoning.

Squeeze the juice of the remaining two limes over chicken and onion, then add the broth.

Cover and cook on high for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.

Take out the skin and bones (they should fall right off) and shred the chicken.  Put it back into the juices in the crockpot.  Serve with tortillas and avocados. 

This chicken also freezes exceptionally well!

** Linked to Chef In Training's Tuesday Talent Show33 Shades of Green's Tasty Tuesday, Pint Sized Baker, Blessed with Grace's Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Miz Helen's Country Cottage's Full Plate Thursday, Momnivore's Dilemma's Creative Juice, High Heels and Grills Work it Wednesday, The 36th Avenue, The Country Cook's Weekend Potluck, and Naptime Creation's Tasteful Tuesday.





6 comments:

  1. I agree that the crock pot is one of the best things ever! I'm always looking for new recipes and my family loves tacos-so this is a great find! And I'm a burner too! I hear on the belly burn! Would love it if you'd share this at Saturday Share With Us!
    http://www.lemonsforlulu.com/2013/02/16/saturday-share-with-us-link-party-2/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds divine! I'm always on the look out for new ways to prepare chicken and this sounds great! Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious! I love anything tex-mex so I am definitely marking this one to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks awesome!!! Thanks for sharing at Tasteful Tuesdays! Just wanted to let you know that this will be featured at tomorrows party :o) Link will go live MOnday night.
    http://www.nap-timecreations.com/2013/02/features-and-tasteful-tuesday-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Enjoy your weekend and your new Red Plate.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds delicious! I love anything tex-mex so I am definitely marking this one to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete