Monday, February 25, 2013

Creole Seasoning

 
** I've moved!  Please come visit me at www.thesaltykitchen.com!
 
 

It's official!

Crawfish season has officially begun here in Houston.  The big yellow signs are now up all around town, screaming in bright red bold lettering, CRAWFISH!

Pre-kids, Brian and I used to go out and eat crawfish on Sundays all the time.  I could (and can still) tear through 2-pounds of crawfish in record speed.  I usually was done with my first pound by the time Brian finished peeling two mud bugs.  He's such a slowpoke.

In these experiences, I've learned a few things.  One, is to never, ever wear white when peeling crawfish.  It doesn't end well.  I have also learned to always wear my glasses; taking out my contacts after a day of crawfish peeling is a painful experience.  Trust me.

Since we are now responsible adults, we bring the crawfish home to eat these days.  Open the windows, put newspaper on the counter, and go-to-town on those bad boys.  My son likes the look of them, but he wouldn't eat them to save his life.  My daughter, on the other hand, ate half of mine.  It looks like next time we bring them home, we'll have to increase our poundage.

If you bring these home, you will still need some extra spice, depending on where you get your bugs.  This recipe is a clear winner.  No Tony Chachere's here.  No way.   This recipe is so easy, it will keep in your spice cabinet for a few years, and it can be used for various recipes to add some kick.  The best part is that I know exactly what is in the spice, with no weird-sounding anti-caking ingredients.

Wait, that's not the best part.  The best part is being able to lick this off your fingers.  It's that good.


 
 


Creole Seasoning
Source:  nolacuisine.com

Ingredients:
1/2 cup salt
1/3 cup paprika
1/4 cup granulated garlic
1/4 cup onion powder
1/3 cup black pepper
3 T. white pepper
2 T. cayenne pepper
2 T. dried thyme
2 T. dried basil
1 T. dried oregano


Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a large container.


** Linked up to Watch Out, Martha's Martha Monday, A Pinch of  Joy's Busy MondayKeeping it Simple's Motivate Me Mondays, Chef in Training's Tuesday Talent Show, Naptime Creations Tasteful Tuesday, and Skip to My Lou's Made by You Monday.


 

4 comments:

  1. I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you design this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for
    you? Plz reply as I'm looking to design my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. cheers

    my web-site :: Michael Kors Outlet Online

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate the recommendation. Will try it out.


    Feel free to visit my blog www.michaelkors2013vipbags.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every movie star has one, together with the males. Gucci was answerable for making slightly many making use of the organisations products.
    It is the powerful color and will show the owner's vitality, personality, and end goal. Composing custom-made handbags is the specialty of Eurohandbag. http://xoopsdev.virtueonline.org/portal/userinfo.php?uid=18017

    ReplyDelete
  4. If they are being sold at less than the minimum premium then the reliability is highly hopeless.
    Reservations are highly recommended to acquire a spot with once.
    Them designs make a bearing in Europe where gathers
    a gift luxury brands. Nevertheless, no closet should be without the worthwhile LBD for good reason.
    http://majikoi.com/userinfo.php?uid=18248

    ReplyDelete