Thursday, February 21, 2013

Baked Beans

 
I've moved!  Please come see me at www.thesaltykitchen.com!
 


Recently, much to my dismay, my husband has gotten back on the bratwurst bandwagon.

He fell off for a while, but now that the weather is warming up a bit, the grill is starting to get a workout from all the brats he makes.

Did you notice I said, "much to my dismay"?

Ugh.

When we first started dating, he was so excited to let me taste the real veal brats at, of all things, the Renaissance Festival.  Seriously. We walked around the festival for hours and watched live jousting, Medieval comedy, and every once in a while, we'd see an unfortunate looking woman parading herself around the countryside in chain mail.

It was, to say the least, a very eventful afternoon.

The highlight of the day for him was when he found some veal bratwurst for me to try.

Since we were still in our beginning stage of dating, I choked it down.  I also decided I would rather gnaw on a turkey leg instead. 

Anyway, now that bratwurst season is apparently in effect, I decided to make him a great side dish to go with his brats; something special for his white, disgusting, smelly brats (Incidentally, if the grill is not an option, he boils them, sears them in butter in a skillet, then douses them in ketchup.  Imagine that smell.).

While I'm not really a brat fan, I am a fan of these.  So is Brian, which makes me very, very happy.  Having him love these almost makes it worth the brat smell.  Almost.....

** On another note....does anyone, anyone, know how I can respond to comments in Blogger?  I want to respond to some lovely comments, but whenever I hit "reply" nothing happens.  Suggestions?



Baked Beans
Adapted from Paula Deen's Southern Baked Beans

Ingredients:
2 11-oz cans of pork and beans
1/2 onion, chopped
1 T. mustard
2 T. brown sugar
2 T. maple syrup
2 T. ketchup
1 T. lemon juice
1/2 lb. bacon, cut into 1/2 inch strips


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large casserole dish with a lid, combine all ingredients except the bacon.  Once the bean mixture is mixed well, top with bacon strips.

Cover and bake for 45-60 minutes.


** Linked to High Heels and Grills Work it Wednesday, Momnivore's Delimma's Creative Juice, The 36th Avenue, Watch Out, Martha's Martha Mondays, Chef in Training's Tuesday Talent Show, The Country Cook's Weekend Potluck, Naptime Creations Tasteful Tuesday, and Miz Helen's Country Cottage's Full Plate Thursday.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,
    What a great recipe! Have a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound very yummy! I will need to give these a try at our next potluck or grill out. I would love if you would like up at Tried and True Thursdays.
    http://www.chickyscafe.com/2013/04/19/tried-true-thursdays-1/

    ReplyDelete